Frequently Asked Questions
m### + What are the benefits of having behind the wheel instruction? There are at least four benefits that immediately come to mind:
We teach your child to drive, and we cater all our lessons to the individual student.
You get an insurance certificate that your insurance company will honor. From feedback of former customers this discount can be as much as $1,500 over the course of 5 years. In the end driving school pays for itself.
Your child will get their license sooner than if they wait till they turn 17.
We take care of everything at the DMV for you. No annoying lines, multiple trips, or not knowing which line to stand in. We take care of all the hassles of the DMV.
+ How do I know I can trust your instructors?
All of our instructors work with kids on a daily basis. They are teachers, coaches, retired administrators, police officers, and full-time workers. They have gone through rigorous training and do this job to help kids become better drivers. All of our instructors are men and women we would trust with our own children or they wouldn’t be working for us.
+ Do you understand that my child has NEVER driven before? I mean, my child has actually REALLY never driven before. Do you REALLY understand that? :)
Yes we do! We expect that any 16 year old who comes to Harper Driving School has never driven before, and we are prepared to work from the ground up.
+ What do you do on a lesson?
Each and every lesson is different as we cater to each student’s individual abilities. With that said we strive to get every student in as many “real life” situations and scenarios as possible. This would include things like turning, 4 way stops, jug handles, circles, highway driving, parking in parking lots, k-turns, and of course parallel parking. In the course of a lesson we are constantly giving tips and defensive driving techniques as well.
+ Do I need to wait until I have driver’s education in school to sign up?
- No! You can take the written test at our driving school for no extra cost. All you need to do is sign up with our driving school.
- This does not mean we take you to the DMV to take the test. You do it right in the quiet confines of our office.
- Don’t wait till you have driver’s education and miss the 6 month window. Get your license on your 17th birthday if you take the written test here.
- The best way to study for the written test is by studying a DMV manual, which you can pick up at our office or at any DMV. Please don't use online tests to study. We have found they offer little help for passing this test!
+ Can I request a specific instructor?
- Absolutely! You can request an instructor by name or by gender.
+ How do I sign up for behind the wheel instruction?
- In order to sign up a 16 year old, we need you to come in along with the following:
- Blue card from passing written test (if you haven’t passed the written test you can take it right at driving school for no extra fee)
- Original birth certificate
- Social Security card
- $355.00- you can pay cash, check, money order, MasterCard, Visa or Discover
- When you come in, there is a contract and permit application to fill out. We will give you an eye test and schedule your lessons. We do two 3-hour sessions, seven days a week and it is door-to-door service. We do not take students out of school, so it is either after school or on the weekends.
- For a student who already has their permit or license, we need to receive a signed contract along with a copy of the permit or license and the payment.
- If you are unable to come to the office to sign up, please contact us and we will arrange an alternate plan.
+ What are your office/driving hours?
- Our office is open Monday-Friday 3:00-6:00 PM and Saturdays 9:00 AM-12:00 PM.
- Our driving hours are Monday-Sunday 7:00 AM-8:00 PM
- We will work around your schedule
- Note – we do not pull students out of school for lessons.
+ Can you take me/my child to the road test?
Yes. We have a road test service. This service is $160 (Mays Landing is $195 due to the extra time and distance) and we pick up the student 1 hour and 15 minutes before the road test. This gives us approximately 40 minutes to practice parallel parking and time to get the test. After the test we will help them get their license and drop them back off at home or school. Our instructors are not responsible for scheduling your Road Test Service. Please be sure to call the office at least 3 weeks in advance to assure yourself a spot on our schedule.
+ Why use you for the road test?
There are five reasons you should use our road test service
You get a brush up on parallel parking right before the test.
We know what is on the test and what is expected so there are no surprises.
We have a great rapport with the DMV and over an 90% passing rate.
We have the proper car and decals needed for the test.
We help you get the license.
+ Why is Harper Driving School the right choice?
- We have been in business for over a decade and have safely driven over 8,000 students.
- Our instructors are the best in the business.
- We always have newer, reliable, and safe cars.
- Once you sign up we do everything for you - no trips to the DMV!
- We offer services like eye tests and written tests in our offices which save you from going to the DMV.
- Our availability and customer service is second to none.
- We have a real office and are accredited by the Better Business Bureau.